Spicy Chicken Mac and Cheese Skillet
We've turned up the spice meter on this creamy, adult-friendly mac and cheese recipe! And because you use recipe ready Keystone Chicken, your hearty mac and cheese will be on the table in less than 20 minutes!
- 1/2 can (28 oz) Keystone Chicken, drained and shredded
- 2 cups uncooked cavatappi pasta
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup crushed kettle-cooked potato chips, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain. Preheat broiler.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, heat butter over low heat. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir until lightly browned, approximately 2 minutes (do not burn).
- Gradually whisk in cream, milk, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add pasta, Keystone Chicken, bacon and jalapeño peppers; cook and stir until heated throughout. Sprinkle chips over the top.
- Broil about 4 inches from heat until chips are browned, about 20 seconds.